Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Representation decisions

For our group's major project we will be working with an instruction for Coast Guard Rescue & Survival Petty Officers. We developed this instruction last semester in 521 and will be creating the online version of it in this class.  We should aim to use images and graphical representations sparingly so that the learner can follow and make sense of the message. Ideally, I'd like to limit the images and graphic representations to those that can clearly aid the learner in understanding the concepts or ideas presented. The images shouldn't be flashy either, so that they don't distract the learner from the important message. Considering the relatively simple and straightforward content, the images should also be simple rather than very detailed or accurate. The audience will be a diverse group, including varying degrees of experience with the content, so the images, graphic representations and text will need to be relatively easy to follow.

I'm not exactly sure what types of icons would be used in this project but from the reading it seems that its better to stick with the obvious, universally understood icons and images rather than trying to be creative.  Using a unique icon might confuse the learner and interfere with learning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    I really like your major project. I have been following your teammates and your individual efforts since last semester. I am also pretty sure you are going to make a good job after this semester, too. Online version of your Coast Guard project sounds great to me because these days I am reading many research about online learning, online teaching, and other versions of online education. I am wondering if you have decided your audience. Is there any specific population which you selected or are going to select your target audience? I am asking this question because it seem you almost finished the project. :) Congratulations.

    Best,

    Remzi

    ReplyDelete